Home birth in Japan, main procedure 



Do you want to give birth to your child in your own home? Do you wish you could have an underwater birth in the bathtub at home where you can relax? Even if you can give birth in your own home in your country, it is difficult in Japan. In Japan, most pregnant women give birth in a hospital. This is because it is easier to go through the procedures after the birth if the baby is born in a hospital. What should you do if you give birth at home in an unfamiliar country? This page explains. We hope that it will help to alleviate some of your anxiety.




Japanese do not give birth at home

Japanese pregnant women almost never give birth at home. This is because giving birth at home is risky. It also makes it difficult to go through the procedures at the municipal office after the birth. They give birth to their babies at hospitals instead of at home because it becomes more difficult to go through the difficult procedures. After the baby is born, you cannot get a family register without submitting a paper called a birth notification to the government office. Without a family register, it is not possible to receive government services or public money necessary for child rearing, or to use childcare facilities. In order to obtain a birth certificate, the birth must take place at a hospital. If you give birth at a hospital, you must have a certificate written in your mother-child handbook, stating who at which hospital witnessed the birth. Then, the birth is registered at the city office with the certificate. When the birth is registered, the birth is registered in the family register for the first time.


How do I get a birth certificate?

The baby and mother are properly connected through the placenta and umbilical cord. It is necessary for a third party to prove that the umbilical cord and placenta were connected. In Japan, only doctors and midwives can provide this proof. If you really want to give birth at home, you can call a midwife to come to your home to help you with the birth. You will give birth at home with two midwives. You will also have the midwife write a birth certificate to prove that you had the baby taken away from you. There is another way to give birth at home. The midwife is more responsible for the risk of the baby dying and the risk of the mother suddenly changing. It is very difficult to find a midwife who is willing to take on this great responsibility and help with home birth.


If you have a baby at home

What should I do if I have my baby at home? First, call the hospital where you have your regular checkups. Call the hospital and ask for instructions on what to do. If circumstances are such that you do not have a family hospital, call an ambulance. It is possible that the ambulance will take so long to arrive that the baby has already been born or that you will not be able to get to the hospital in time to deliver the baby. Here is what you should do if you are not able to give birth in the hospital in time.

  • First, prepare plenty of dry towels.
  • Wipe the baby’s body.

Once the body is dry, hold the baby to your chest so that you can share the mother’s body heat.

Has the baby given birth? If not, stimulate the baby to breathe by tapping the soles of both feet or tapping on the back. Breathing on your own is very important for survival. Do not feel sorry for them, but stimulate them firmly and encourage them to cry. Also, let the water out of the nose and mouth, as they may have water in them. If there is water in the nose, cover the mouth and put the nose and the mother’s mouth together and suck. Likewise, block the nose and suck out any buildup in the mouth. Wait for the ambulance to arrive.

If possible, look at the clock to see what time the baby was born. The time of birth is important information to write a certificate.



The emergency services couldn’t get there in time! What to do?

What if the baby is born before the paramedics arrive? Do not cut the umbilical cord or Taiwan, and follow the instructions of the emergency personnel throughout the process. It is best not to cut the umbilical cord or remove the placenta. It is better to have your navel and placenta removed in the presence of a doctor at the hospital where you were transported to, so that you will have an easier time later on.

This is because the placenta and the umbilical cord will be properly attached to the baby. The fact that the placenta and umbilical cord are properly connected proves that you are the parent and child who gave birth. If you cut this proof with your own hands, you will not be able to get a birth certificate written by the hospital. If you cut the cord with your own hands, you will not be able to have the hospital write a birth certificate for you. If the baby is safe and sound, the rest will be fine. If you cut the umbilical cord and have the placenta removed at the hospital, you can also receive a lump-sum birth allowance, so don’t worry if your life is difficult and you are worried about expenses.



What you need for administrative procedures

I am glad that both you and your baby are safe. We are looking forward to your new life with your cute baby. There are procedures to follow after you give birth to your baby. It is a lot of work, but it is for the baby’s sake. Do your best.

Within 14 days after the birth, hurry up and go to the city hall. The documents you need to register depend on the area you live in. Go ask what you need. It is enough to write here that you may need these papers, so be prepared. First, ask what documents you need at city hall.


  • Birth certificate (if you can get it written at the hospital)
  • Maternal and child health handbook
  • Proof of emergency medical treatment
  • Medical certificate of mother and child by a doctor
  • Photographs showing that the woman was pregnant before and after the birth
  • Echo photograph of the fetus

A written statement describing the circumstances leading up to the birth of the child

A statement from a person other than the child’s parents who was present at the birth

A check of the umbilical cord by a government official


It will take some time until the information is registered in the family register, but rest assured, it will be registered.